Monday, April 27, 2020

Reflections on the covid-19 situation and Lojong

I figured the times make it almost imperative to take into account the covid-19 situation in my #lojongchallenge blog series. Thankfully, the Lojong slogans pretty much all are suitable to work with whatever situation. I found that slogan 23, "always abide by the three basic principles" also gives some useful advice to deal with the current situation.

My last trip abroad before the lockdown started in the Duomo of Milan (notice gloves!)
So let's start by breaking down this slogan: what are the three principles? Those are first to stay committed to working against self-importance, second, to not act outrageously or show off, and third, to be impartial and equanimous. Before we go into this, let me talk a bit about how I am coping with the situation. I count myself lucky because I do have a secure job, a nice place to live, and all the things that I find important can be done online in some way. It is strange to not leave the house apart from for errands and running once a week, but I am not thinking about that so much. Every day I start the working day by doing a few dances that get my blood flowing and my brain going. Then I sit down behind my computer and do the usual--meetings, e-mail, writing, except that all meetings take place in front of a computer screen rather than in real life. And then my normal past-times, ballet and Buddhist gatherings, also happen from behind the same screen. My calendar is the tool that I use to distinguish between all of those. I make sure to plan in the Buddhist gatherings and ballet classes such that they surely happen. I feel sad to not really meet people in real life, but I feel excited about learning so many new things and seeing all the creative things that people have developed.

Now back to the principles. The first principle, reducing self-importance is basically what we are all doing right now: while we may not be at too much risk for the virus, we have to give up a social life for a little while so others can stay healthy. If I work from home then the person in the hospital will better be able to manage the tremendous workload of patients. I also notice that everyone seems more aware of each other as we move around each other in the streets to maintain our 1.5m distance. While it may seem that letting go of self-importance is all about the other, it is important to realize that dropping self-importance does not mean letting go of self-care. Self-care is especially important to ensure you can be there for others. This is why I try to prioritize sleep and ballet, so I am happy and healthy.

Life at home: dancing with the vacuum cleaner

The second principle, not to act outrageously refers primarily to showing off one's spiritual practice. In a wonderful advice for these times, Khandro Rinpoche emphasises the importance of simply coming back to being kind to one another. Don't try to impress others with what a good practiioner you are. Simpler is better. What I also find helpful in this slogan is that by reducing our tendency to show off, we are reducing our own anxiety because any time we show off, we are anxious about others' responses. Good reminder to self in this age of social media, that make it so easy to get trapped in the tendency to seek for others' approval..

The last principle, maintaining equanimity is also helpful. For me it brings a lot of peace to realize that not all is in our own hands. I am currently trying to practice this by not thinking too much about what will happen in the future, and just stay with what happens day by day. Because every day things will change. I was supposed to go to India right when the lockdown happened, and most of the other things that were supposed to happen this summer--summer schools, conferences, ... have been cancelled. But who knows what the world will look like even a few weeks from now. It is surreal to think about what has happened. Never has the truth of impermanence and interdependence be so clear!

No comments: