Monday, November 02, 2020

My working-from-home strategies

It's been 7 months since the start of the pandemic and working from home. I thought it would be nice to share how I have been holding up with that. For me there are several tricks that I learnt:

- start the day with a little dance. I have several choreographies that I like to practise for upcoming (we hope!) performances. These are nice little dances, but everything can work. I think this helps to nicely demarcate your working day. Also, remember how we used to write in our poetry friend albums: "begin the day with a little dance, begin the day with a smile, whoever is happy in the morning, smiles the whole day"


- sit on a slightly unstable cushion that requires you to make micro-movements all the time and thereby keeps your spine mobile. I am using a balance cushion to sit on, which also has little spiky things that serve as a great "butt-massage" to calm these overworked ballet turnout muscles ;-)


- insert a short mindfulness break. Just practise for a few minutes, either with an app such as ==InsightTimer or ==Headspace, or just by yourself. It is a great tool to let whatever you are working on settle and also sometimes this brings to mind things you have almost forgotten.

notice spiky cushion on the chair


- sometimes when I am attending a meeting where no camera is required, I like to do some stretches during the meeting so I can keep moving. See the short video clip as an example



- finally, I like to take little dance breaks. Sometimes I just put on some music I like and dance for a few minutes. Sometimes I use a bit more structure and follow a short 5-minute workout. My favourite is this one from Lazy Dancer Tips.


I hope this helps. How are you doing with #workingfromhome?

No comments: